Sunday, September 18, 2022

Musings about Mattel

Since Mattel's first release of the made to move body several years ago I have spoken often about how I would love to see a collector line using this body. I loved the variety in Mattel's Fashionista line, but I hated the fact that they didn't have articulation, so I would have to buy another basic made to move doll if I wanted one of the Fashionista faces on a made to move body and make my own. The BMR1959 line released in 2019? I believe was a good start on a collector line using varied faces and body types, and putting those dolls on the made to move bodies, and I own quite a few dolls from that line, but the clothing was a little out there, and not quite to my taste. With the release of the Signature Looks basic collection, which I have read is a nod to the Barbie Basics collection (which I loved!), I think Mattel has finally hit on a line that I am very enthused about! While my 1/6 collection is mainly focused on the more expensive resin Jamieshow Muses line, and several lines from Integrity, there is something SO appealing about spending $20 on a doll that I can take out of the box, and THROW said box away!!! (I am SO tired of having to find storage room for BOXES. Ughhh) I have NO guilt with my Mattel dolls in throwing their boxes away, and I LOVE that about them. This morning I took some time to photograph my latest two dolls from the Signature Looks collection, #8 (new Andra sculpt) from Wave 2 and #10 (new Simone sculpt). I have three of the dolls from Wave 1 as well, and I plan to get several more in this line. Andra and Simone were a bit hard to photograph together as their skin tones contrast so much.


The outfits these dolls come in are very basic pieces that can be mixed and matched easily. I love that Mattel is using all of their body sizes. As you can tell from the photo above, Simone is on the tall body and Andra is on the regular made to move body. I've found the tall and petite body sizes can share most clothing with the regular body. Length of skirts/pants is the main issue regarding fit.


I love Andra's sculpt, the closed mouth with the full lips, and her short, undercut hair style is fresh and new.

Her makeup is understated, but well done. She will be very versatile I think. I wish these girls had painted nails like the BMR1959 line did, or the @BarbieStyle Signature dolls do, but at the $20 price point, maybe that's too much to ask, and it's a small con. The pro's certainly outweigh the cons for me in regard to this line.


As soon as I saw Simone, I thought she was a must have for my collection. The new AA sculpt is just gorgeous! I love her dark skin tone, and I was a bit surprised how vivid her eye makeup is when I got her home and out of the box. She is a stunner!

Her eye makeup is bolder than her sisters #3-Kit (from Wave 1) and #8 Andra (from Wave 2), which are the only other girls I own so far from this line.

I'm very pleased so far with the dolls I have received from this line, and will be adding more. As I said before, there is something so satisfying about only spending $20 on a doll that you can take out of his/her box, throw the box away and have countless hours of fun posing and redressing. Below are Stock pictures of the dolls in each of the three waves released thus far. I look forward to what Mattel has on the horizon for the next waves, and hope it is a line that has a long life.
Wave 1
Wave 2
 And Wave 3




















No comments:

Post a Comment